“You may now kiss the bride,” said the minister at the sacred alter. While I heard those words, I welcomed the excitement and happiness of what the future held. It was like a brightly burning flame..no one could put it out no matter what they said or did. Joseph and I were too busy being happy to notice anything or anyone else. We were so in love then and still are so in love today. In fact, we’re more in love with each other than we were 10 years ago when we said, “I do.”
Our lives are now a whirlwind of work, planning events, appointments, 3 young kids, housework and.. my husband is also a pastor. We sometimes don’t have enough time to sit and eat a meal. One time I even forgot to eat breakfast! I’m sure as wives, whether you work or stay at home, can relate in some way.
Through the hustle and bustle of each day, how much time do husbands and wives spend together? Is there even time for romance? How do married couples, even those with children, keep that spark of romance alive?
First of all, don’t let the romance dwindle into nonexistence. Instead, date your husband!
Remember those months or years of courtship when everything was so new and exciting? You couldn’t wait to see him, or for the time to talk for hours on the phone, or to have lunch/dinner together? Why let that stop after you get married?
Here are some ways to keep that romance alive:
1. Make it offical- Alone time is key for keeping that flame lit. Choose a day on the calendar that works and go on a date. Make it once a week or even once a month. Take turns making the date plans. To make it really feel like a date, get ready separately and meet at the romantic destination.
2.Positive affirmations- Compliment your husband. Tell him what you like about his personality. What are his good qualities? Make sure to tell him what a good husband he is and how happy you are..especially in front of the kids.
3. Hugs and kisses- How did you greet each other when you were dating? Your hellos were full of excitement and goodbyes full of sadness. Show him how happy you are to see him with big hugs and kisses. Make sure to always hug and kiss goodbye because you never know if it could be your last.
4. Try something new together- Courtship is exciting because everything is so new. Experience things that are new for both of you. Try a new type of food, a new perfume, take a culinary class together, go hiking..there a many possibilities.
5. Flirt and Communicate- Find ways to communicate with your husband during the day. Send him a spicy text, write a love note on the frosted mirror in the bathroom when you know he’ll see it, or send him an email to let him know you are thinking about him. Use your creativity and knowledge of what your husband likes/dislikes. If you are uncertain about what to do, you can try putting a love note under his pillow.
6. Dedicate a space- Where, better than your master bedroom, can be the place you and your husband dedicate to each other? This room should not have toys, papers, grocery lists, food, pets or even your kids. This room should serve two functions: to sleep and have alone/quiet time together. If you can implement this rule to your bedroom it will become a peaceful oasis for the two of you.
7. Surprise him- Surprise you husband and keep him guessing about what is going to come next! You can surprise him by planning a fun outing with just the two of you. Don’t let him in on any of the details except for the date you planned the surprise on. Be mysterious about what you’ve got in store for him. Keep him guessing until you are ready to put your plan into action!